Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is really a meal in itself, rich and delicious, and doesn't need anything more than a green salad and beverage of choice.
- 12 slices bacon
- 1 lb potato, peeled thinly sliced, boiled in salted water 8 minutes and drained on paper
- 2 lbs tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced chives
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- Grill bacon until crisp and crumble.
- Preheat oven to 375F and butter an earthenware dish.
- Combine cheese and breadcrumbs, parsley, chives and season (I often add a minced clove of garlic, too).
- First put a layer using 1/2 of the potatoes, then 1/3 of the tomatoes, sprinkle with 1/2 of cheese and 1/2 of bacon; repeat layering one more time in the same manner; finally, top with remaining tomatoes; drizzle cream over.
- Bake 40-45 minutes, until tender and browned.
This is soooooo good Evelyn. I made this instead of scalloped potatoes. A definite winner.
I did a half batch to go with some chicken kievs. I've made potato gratins & tomato gratins before but never thought of combining the 2. What a great idea. Simple & can be made ahead of time which is a plus. Thanks for a keeper!
I used turkey bacon instead of regular bacon and the casserole turned out awful. Maybe it would have tasted better without the bacon.