1/1 Photo of Pollo Asado
This is my family's recipe for grilled chicken, mexican-style. It is very similar to what you would get at El Pollo Loco fast food restaurants - although we were eating this way before they ever existed! Achiote powder should be available in most grocery stores' mexican spice section, but is easily found at mexican grocers or online. It imparts a subtle flavor that is definitely hispanic, and it also gives the chicken it's wonderful golden color. Prep time does not include marinating time. To cut calories, use skinless chicken, but it doesn't taste as good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut chicken breasts into two halves.
- 2Heat oil in small saucepan over medium high heat until very hot.
- 3While oil heats, mash cumin, salt, oregano, garlic and achiote powder into a paste with a mortar and pestle. Place the paste in a heat-proof bowl.
- 4Whisk hot oil into the garlic paste. Allow to cool slightly then add lime and orange juice, stirring well to combine.
- 5Pour marinade into a large ziploc bag, add chicken breast halves. Shake or knead to spread marinade throughout chicken.
- 6Refrigerate at least four hours to overnight.
- 7Grill over medium heat, turning, until chicken reaches internal temperature of 180 degrees.
- 8Place chicken on cutting board and let rest several minutes.
- 9Serve individually, or cut into bite sized pieces for making tacos or burritos.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pollo Asado
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 507.1
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 123.7 mg
- Sodium 705.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 40.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: