1/9 Photos of Pigs in Blankets-Bacon and Sausage Rolls for Christmas Trimmings
French Tart's Note:
These quirkily named "Pigs in Blankets" are the traditional British accompaniment to the Christmas roast turkey dinner - we call them "Trimmings". You will often see pubs, restaurants and hotels advertising Christmas Dinner with ALL the trimmings - these will be part of those trimmings that they mention! We can eat these with NO roast turkey - they are what everyone grabs whilst no one else is looking in the Post Christmas Dinner kitchen! (I have known my husband to secrete a couple in his pocket when he was nearly caught!!) They are VERY easy to prepare and need very little oven time, either cook them before or add them to the oven for the last 25 to 30 minutes of the turkey or roast potato cooking time. These also make great appetisers, skewer them with a cocktail stick and serve them with cranberry or sweet chilli sauce as a dip.
My Private Note
Bacon a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1To Prepare:.
- 2Cut each rasher of bacon in half and stretch them with a knife; run the back of a knife along the length of each rasher of bacon to flatten and stretch them slightly - this stops them shrinking during cooking.
- 3Wrap one half rasher of bacon around each sausage, making sure that the seal is underneath the bacon/sausage roll. Skewer with a cocktail stick if neccessary.
- 4Cover them with cling film or place them in a sealed container and store them in the refrigerator until ready to cook or place them in the freezer and defrost them in the refrigerator on Christmas Eve.
- 5To Cook:.
- 6Place on a lightly greased oven tray and roast in a pre-heated oven, 200C/400F/gas Mark 5, for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the bacon is cooked and crisp.
- 7Set to one side and keep warm until needed.
- 8These can be cooked ahead of time and reheated in the oven alongside the turkey or roast potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- 9Serve alongside the roast turkey - I always allow 2 per person.
- 10If you skewer thse with a cocktail stick, they make great appetisers too! Serve with cranberry sauce as a dip.
- 11NOTE: If you can only get the normal size chipolata sausages, gently squeeze them in two or three places - see my photos - to make 3 or 4 smaller sausages from 1 longer one; 6 normal sized sausages will yield between 18 and 24 smaller sausages!
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pigs in Blankets-Bacon and Sausage Rolls for Christmas Trimmings
Serving Size: 1 (237 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 444.2
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.0 mg
- Sodium 901.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 19.5 g