Recipe by Iam4ever29
I adapted this recipe for my crock-pot. Having 2 devout carnivores and 1 devout vegetarian in the house, it pleased both. I have a smaller crockpot that I use for my vegetarian crockpot and I added meat last.
Top Review by Scrapbook Lori
I have had this recipe cut out forever, and just finally tried it! The version I use is Weight Watchers friendly, substituting ground turkey for ground beef, and turkey pepperoni for pepperoni. (6 pts per 1 cup serving on weight watchers prepared this way.) I then take mixture and cover and bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and another 5 minutes uncovered. Since our family is small and the servings were large, I prepared dish and then baked 1/2, and the other 1/2 I froze for another meal later. Great, easy dish for weeknights.
- 1 (1 lb) packageuncooked ziti pasta
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1⁄2 cup ricotta cheese
- 4 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 1⁄2 ounces pepperoni
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta until just tender.
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink, drain.
- Transfer meat to a large bowl.
- Add 29 oz tomato sauce, 1 c mozzarella cheese, mushrooms, spinach, ricotta cheese, Italian Seasoning, garlic, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and pepper.
- Fold pasta into meat mixture.
- Pour into crockpot.
- Combine water and remaining tomato sauce and pour over pasta mixture.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining mozzerella cheese.
- Top with pepperoni.
- Cover and bake on low for 5 to 6 hours.