Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These would be perfect for Valentine's Day or Christmas or a heart/love themed party! Very easy to make! NOTE: 30 minute cooking time is actually cooling time for candies to set. ENJOY!
- 18 (2 1/2 inch) peppermint candy canes, unwrapped
- 5 ounces vanilla candy coating or 5 ounces almond bark, chopped
- 2 teaspoons crushed peppermint candy canes
- Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Arrange candy canes on waxed paper in groups of 2 with ends touching to form heart shapes.
- Place candy coating in 2-cup microwave safe measuring cup.
- Microwave on Medium for 2-3 minutes, stirring once halfway through melting time.
- Stir until melted and smooth.
- Spoon or pipe candy coating into centers of hearts to fill spaces.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy.
- Cool 30 minutes or until set.
My daughter made a batch of these for a Valentine's favor. She used white almond bark and then red sprinkles on top. Adorable!
Make sure you get decent, even candy canes. I got el-cheapos and they were bent and all different sizes, making it tough work. I put melted milk chocolate in a baggie with the corner snipped and filled in the hearts while my friend held the candy canes in place. After that cooled a bit, I put a little melted white chocolate in a squeezie bottle to fill in the edges so it looked cleaner. I think next time I may add just a little bit of shortening or corn syrup so it holds stronger and is a bit shinier. Very cute in my Christmas cookie gift box! Thanks for the nifty idea!
This is wonderful. I made the same thing last Christmas and it stayed fresh for weeks. Love it!