Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I love this pretty little pizza, not just for its amazing flavors but also for how quick it is to put together. I am not a big fan of tomato sauce on pizza so this pizza is one of my favorites. The pepper-jack cheese is wonderful! I use fresh spinach; if you want to use fresh spinach, remove stems, wash well and tear into large pieces. Saute the spinach in some of the bacon fat until it begins to wilt. Squeeze dry and combine with the other ingredients, as indicated in step two. Approximately three pounds of fresh spinach will equal the amount of frozen spinach used here, but if you don't mind a pie with less spinach then one pound will suffice. WINE: A nice Australian Shiraz with its plum and blackcurrant flavors and its slight whisper of black pepper is a great accompaniment for this cheesy pizza.
- 10 slices bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, defrosted, drained, and squeezed dry (see note in description if you wish to use fresh spinach)
- 2 1⁄2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 (12 inch) store-bought prepared pizza crust, such as Boboli
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese or 4 tablespoons grated asiago cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cook bacon in a large frying pan until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly mix the bacon, spinach (drain well), cheese, and pepper. Brush pizza crust with olive oil. Spread the spinach mixture evenly on both crusts and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake the pizzas on a pizza stone (crispier crust) or on two baking sheets until the cheese has melted, approximately 10 minutes.
Hi Cheryl, what a great combination! We used fresh spinach, added sliced mushrooms, & like another reviewer did - added the red pepper flakes for that extra zing! Have always loved spinach & cheese - with bacon and mushrooms - WOW! Thanks for a great recipe, Diane ;-)
I am not giving a star rating since I made too many changes. But I love the flexibility with this pizza!! I used fresh dough from the bakery section of my supermarket, omitted the bacon and added sliced tomato and crushed garlic to the top. My husband gave me great compliments and I absolutely loved the spinach and pepper jack combo!!
Yum! I used Pizza Dough Bread Machine and some smoked cheddar to the cheese in the ingredients. Topped with some Italian seasonings. Thank you!