Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This always comes out yummy when my niece Penina makes it. And she mixes it by hand!
- 6 cups flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons anise seeds (optional)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- Dissolve sugar in warm water, stir in yeast and let sit until it becomes foamy or creamy (about 5-10 minutes).
- Mix in the other ingredients and knead dough until ball starts to form and lumps are gone.
- Cover bowl with dish towel and let sit 1 hour to rise (should double in size).
- Take out dough and punch down and make loaves. Let shaped dough sit on trays for about 10 minutes until they start puffing back out.
- Glaze with beaten egg and put them in the oven at 350 degrees F for at least 30-35 minutes or browned on top and bottom and/or tap hollow.