Recipe by Lumberjackie
I love sushi for the ways in which the textures and flavours of its ingredients are uniquely highlighted. This unusual sounding roll was inspired by a favourite dish of mine, peanut butter and pickle sandwiches (like those described in Peanut Butter and Pickle Sandwiches), in which creamy, nutty peanut butter perfectly compliments the crisp texture and garlicky tang of dill pickles. It's unusual, but delicious! I eat this sushi roll with the usual condiments - tamari, wasabi, and pickled ginger. I've used peanut butter in many other sushi inventions as well, enjoying it with carrot, red peppers, green onions, etc. I haven't included cooking directions for sushi rice with this recipe, since there are several recipes for sushi rice posted on RecipeZaar already (i.e. Sushi Rice, Minado's Perfect Sushi Rice, etc.) Recently, I've been making all of my sushi using short-grain brown rice, for the additional health benefits. NOTE: My directions assume some level of sushi-making experience.
- 1⁄2-1 cup prepared sushi rice
- 2 sheets nori, seaweed
- 1 dill pickle
- 2 tablespoons smooth peanut butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare sushi rice according to your favourite recipe.
- Cut the dill pickle into 4-8 wedges, depending on personal preference and the size of the pickle.
- Place one sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi rolling mat. Spread a thin layer of rice on the nori (to do this, I use a fork, dampened with warm salt water).
- Spread a line of peanut butter (approximately 1 heaping tbsp - more or less, depending on personal preference) along the rice, and arrange a singe row of pickle wedges on top of the peanut butter.
- Roll, cut, and enjoy!