Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is how we roast our turkey for the holidays. A little prep before roasting ensures that the bird will be moist and tasty.
- 1 (10 -12 lb) whole turkey, thawed
- 1 bunch celery rib, chopped into large pieces
- 2 large lemons, quartered
- 2 large oranges, quartered
- fresh ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut into pads
- Rinse turkey (with giblets and neck removed) inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the celery, lemons, and oranges in the turkey cavity. You might use fewer lemons, oranges, and celery pieces depending on the size of your turkey.
- Add pads of butter under the turkey skin by making small slits in the skin and slipping the butter under the skin.
- Generously salt and pepper the entire turkey on the outside and in the cavity.
- Place the turkey in a turkey-size roasting bag and follow the directions on the bag for cooking.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven. Roasting time will vary depending on the size of your turkey. A 10-12 pound turkey will generally take about 4 to 4 1/2 hours to roast.
This is the best way ever to cook turkey. The oranges give the turkey a wonderful taste and it stays moist and juicy for days . Leftovers are wonderful...no day old dry turkey...tasty for several days. Love my orange turkey in a bag. I do it a day before serving, carve it and put it back in its juice...delicious.
great recipe that the whole family will love! also works great with large chickens