Epi Curious's Note:
This is from "Lidia's Italian Table: Italian American Favorites" by Lidia Matticchio Bastianich, author and host of the PBS television series of the same name. The shape of the pasta (orecchiette means "little ears" ) soaks up the flavorful sauce. This is a one-dish meal, very hearty and very satisfying. Serve with lots of crusty bread to soak up the sauce.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup chicken stock (or canned broth)
- 1 lb orecchiette
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed (large)
- 1 1/2 lbs broccoli rabe, florets and tender stems only
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 lb sweet Italian sausage, cooked & crumbled
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- 1Bring the chicken stock to a boil.
- 2Cook the orecchiette in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente; drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, in a large, deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the garlic and cook over moderately high heat until golden. Add the broccoli rabe, crushed red pepper and salt; cover and steam for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the hot chicken stock, sausage and butter and cook over high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add the orecchiette to the skillet and toss gently. Sprinkle half the Parmigiano on top and toss again. Serve immediately, sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Orecchiette With Broccoli Rabe and Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 498.5
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 20.7 mg
- Sodium 525.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 23.2 g