Prep 1 hr
Cook 45 mins
Absolutely delightful-I fix these every year for Thanksgiving, and eat the leftovers for breakfast! Seems complicated with all the steps, but worth it. From a friend's old OLD cookbook.
- 8 medium sweet potatoes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon orange rind (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- Parboil and peel potatoes.
- Slice lengthwise in quarters or more, depending on size of potato. Fry sliced potatoes in butter on stove until browned on all sides (careful-they will burn).
- Mix together rest of ingredients; set aside (it will be thick).
- Place potatoes and remaining butter into casserole dish. Pour brown sugar/orange mixture over potatoes, covering potatoes on all sides.
- Bake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes, basting frequently, until potatoes are glazed and bubbling.
Wow these were great. I had some reservation about frying the potatoes but this was great. Will definitely make these again. Thanks Made for PAC 2011.