1/19 Photos of "Old Reliable" French Bread (for Kitchen Aid Mixers)
2 hrs 50 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
This recipe came with my Kitchen Aid mixer, and makes two absolutely beautiful loaves of French Bread. I misplaced my recipe book and recently found it again, so am adding this recipe to Zaar for safe-keeping! Make sure you use a very, very sharp knife to make the diagonal slashes. This bread is delicious on its own, for sopping up stew or soup broth, and with your favorite cheeses or toppings. Prep time specified includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed mixer bowl.
- 2Add salt, butter, and flour.
- 3Attach bowl& dough hook to mixer, turn to Speed 2 and mix about 1 minute or until well blended.
- 4Knead on Speed 2 about 2 minutes longer.
- 5Dough will be sticky.
- 6Put dough in large greased bowl, turning to coat.
- 7Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- 8Punch dough down and divide in half.
- 9Roll each half into 12" x 15" rectangle.
- 10Roll dough tightly, from longest side, tapering ends, if needed/wanted.
- 11Put loaves on greased baking sheets that have been dusted with cornmeal.
- 12Cover and let rise in warm place, free from draft, about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- 13With sharp knife, make 4 diagonal cuts on top of each loaf.
- 14Bake at 450F for 25 minutes, then remove from oven.
- 15Beat egg white and water together and brush each loaf with this mix.
- 16Return to the oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
- 17Immediately remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- 18Serve with your favorite spread such as herbed butter, garlic bread topping, etc.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Old Reliable" French Bread (for Kitchen Aid Mixers)
Serving Size: 1 (52 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 30
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.5
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 240.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 3.3 g