Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Like most old fashion recipes, this sloppy joe is not super spicy but is a sweet and tangy variety. Try this recipe once and you'll throw the can sauce away for good. Old Fashion Sloppy Joe can be cooked and served immediately but is even better reheated the day after.
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs ground chuck
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup fine chopped green pepper
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 (26 ounce) bottle catsup
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 -10 hamburger buns
- Brown the ground chuck and onion in a large deep skillet.
- Drain the grease from the skillet as well as possible.
- Add the green pepper to the meat and onion and continue cooking until the green pepper is soft.
- Add all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Serve on buns.
I really hate leaving poor reviews but I followed this recipe to a tee. And there was way too much ketchup. I have looked this recipe over & over again to make sure I got it right. It calls for 1 (26 oz. bottle of ketchup), is that a misprint? Perhaps the ketchup amt. is correct & just too much for my taste.
this is how sloppy joes is suppose to taste. i didn't have dried mustard so i used a teaspoon of reg mustard and i thought that 3/4 c of brown sugar sounded like a little to much so i only put a heaping tablespoon in and i didn't add salt because i have high blood presure and it came out great. the whole family loved it. this recipe is now a family favorite.
EXACTLY what I was looking for! We prefer a sweet tasting sloppy joe...and this was perfect! I halved everything in the recipe because I only had 1 lb of ground beef (which was 93/7). After browning the meat, I realized I only had about 8 ounces of ketchup left in the fridge instead of the 13 the recipe called for...but it still turned out perfectly!!! I also didn't add the onion or green pepper, and only had french's mustard! Must be a wonderful recipe to work with all of those changes! THANKS A TON!!