Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
These large 3 1/4 inch cookies have a wonderful lemon flavor and a chewy texture. I prefer them without the sugar glaze, but it makes a classic cookie base for holiday frosting. I can't remember where I found this gem, I have modified it some. Our family has looked for a good sugar cookie recipe for years and just loves this one. I find that chilling the cookie dough before baking really helps in maintaining a "classic" shape during baking, but be sure to press the cookie before placing in the oven or they will be "gooey" in the center. I like to use an ice cream scoop that I found at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for a consistent volume. It is just slightly larger than 1 tablespoon. Perfect for these cookies. Hope you enjoy them as much as we do.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 6 g fresh lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 32 g fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment if available) and mix at medium speed for about 30 seconds (until well blended).
- Add butter, mix at medium speed until pale and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix in eggs, one at a time, at medium speed, then add lemon juice and continue mixing at medium speed for about 30 seconds.
- Reduce speed and gradually add flour mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Chill mixture for at least 15 minutes.
- Drop cookie dough onto non-stick cookie sheets spaced 2 inches apart.
- Place remaining cookie mixture in refrigerator and cookie sheet(s) in freeze for 15 minutes.
- Using the flat bottom of a drinking glass, press the cookies till about 1/2 inch thick.
- If desired, sprinkle cookies with sanding sugar and brush lightly with wet pastry brush. Sprinkle with more sanding sugar to taste.
- Return to freezer for approximately 5 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes.
- Let cool on sheets for 3 minutes and transfer cookies to cookie rack and cool.
- Repeat from step 8 till cookie mixture is depleted.
- Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
- Finished cookies should weigh just about 21 grams and measure about 3 1/4 inches in diameter.
Wonderful chewy lemon sugar cookies! I baked them about 11 minutes and they were perfect. My Dad's favorite cookie is lemon and he is going to LOVE these! Thanks so much for the recipe :-)
The cookies didn't taste bad, although it wasn't like a lemon sugar cookie, nor like a sugar cookie for that matter...The kids liked them. I was a little disappointed after all the trouble I went through...The cookies were completely flat. Like eating baked crepes. I was thinking this recipe was for the fluffy cookies that my grandma used to make...Nothing what I expected. If you are looking for a light cookie, that tastes good, this is your recipe, but if you are looking for traditional lemon sugar cookies or sugar cookies, look elsewhere.
I was very dissapointed in these cookies. Mine turned out totally flat and hardly tasted like lemon at all. I was expecting a light and airy sugar cookie and these just weren't like that at all.