Recipe by Lennie
Posted in response to a request; recipe was found in the 12/93 issue of Bon Appetit.
Top Review by katie in the UP
I can't believe this recipe was from the 93 Edition of Bon Apetite!! I'm getting old...I still make this recipe! We love it!! I shred the chicken before putting it back in the sauce...we love it in burritos and chicken mole enchiladas!! I use the Mexican Chocolate (already has the cinnamon in it!)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, with juices
- 1⁄4 ounce unsweetened chocolate
Directions See How It's Made
- Using 1 tsp of the chili powder, season the breasts, along with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a heavy skillet that comfortably holds both breasts, heat the oil over mediium-high heat and cook the chicken until brown on both sides (about 2 minutes per side); transfer cooked chicken to a plate and add the remaining chili powder, along with the cumin and cinnamon, to the skillet and saute, stirring, for 15 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes and their juices along with the chocolate and simmer until the sauce thickens up, about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, along with any juices that have accumulated on the plate, back into the skillet and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Taste sauce; add salt and pepper if desired.