Prep 35 mins
Cook 0 mins
A light and colorful side dish.
Make and share this Not My Mom's Carrot/Raisin/Apple Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup carrot, grated
- 1 cup apple, grated (I prefer a tart apple like Granny Smith)
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Heat apple juice to boiling, and let raisins plump in juice for 30 minutes.
- Grate carrots and apple, and blot the apple between pieces of paper towel to get rid of excess moisture.
- Drain raisins, reserving juice, and add the raisins to a bowl with the carrot and apple.
- Whisk honey, vinegar, spices and two teaspoons of the reserved apple juice.
- Pour over carrot/raisin/apple mixture and toss well.
I wanted something different for a side dish. So,I went on a Zaar hunt! I'm so glad I found this one! I made this as directed. I let it chill for 2 hours and the flavors blended beautifully. Thanks for this great recipe, moxie!!
This was a delicious and sweet side dish! I brought it to a friend's house for dinner last night, and he couldn't stop complimenting me about it! I used cinnamon instead of the allspice, and used McIntosh apples. The spices gave it a great flavor. It was about time I tried this recipe, since I was the one who requested it, lol. Thanks for a keeper, Moxie!
I also omitted the vinegar, in favor of lemon juice, and the allspice in favor of cinnamon, but it made a great, light, sweet salad, nice for breakfast