1/2 Photos of Noodles, Cabbage and Onions - Halushki
There must be dozens recipes out there, all made by their grandmother's and mother's, who were Polish,Ukranian, Hungarian, Russian or from others who have some other Eastern European background, but I decided I would add mine which my grandfather, from Rumania, used to make with me in our home in Cuba. My father would just melt when I made this and we served it with brisket and gravy, not that the dish needed anything else. In spite of what the directions may seem this is a quickie noodle dish. UPDATE: 12/27/07 just made this again and I used microwaveable(sp) turkey bacon(special request)and I used crushed red pepper flakes and it was great! We enjoyed it so much and I still would like more since I am only allowed a bite!!! "UP-UPDATE" 04/18/09 - have corrected the tiny grammatical error, thanks for the tip! ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 1/2 cups broad egg noodles
- 1 1/2 cups onions
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 4 tablespoons unsalted margarine, and
- 4 tablespoons virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar or 1/2 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute, brown blend
- salt, to taste
- fresh coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Variation #1:.
- 2Cook broad noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- 3Cut up cabbage, onions, add butter, garlic and brown sugar and water.
- 4Cook until cabbage is done, making sure no water remains, 5-7 minutes.
- 5Pour cabbage over noodles and mix well.
- 6Add salt & pepper, to taste.
- 7This is a more rustic looking recipe.
- 8Variation #2:.
- 9Cook the noodles according to package instructions and drain.
- 10Cut the cabbage up any way you like, slices or shredded, do the same with the onions, I prefer sliced onions & shredded cabbage.
- 11Heat a large pan on medium-high heat.
- 12When the pan is hot, add butter/oil combo, or 'grease' of your choice.
- 13When the butter & olive oil are hot, add cabbage and onions and saute for a few (about 5 minutes), then add garlic and sugar.
- 14Turn down the heat to medium and cover the pan.
- 15Let this cook until the cabbage is soft, about 3 more minutes.
- 16If you want the cabbage browned more, remove the lid and turn up the heat once again.
- 17Add the butter/oil combination as you need it.
- 18Add the cooked noodles and serve.
- 19Variation #3:.
- 20Use 1/2 of the butter/oil combination and turn heat to medium-high, when it is hot; add the onions.
- 21Saute the onions with sugar or substitute for about 10 minutes, until they start to caramelize, then add garlic for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- 22Cook noodles according to package directions, and drain.
- 23Place cabbage in large saute pan with 1 Tablespoon of the butter/oil combination and saute until lightly browned.
- 24Add the caramelized onions, garlic, cabbage & noodles and marry them for about 1 or 2 minutes, then add salt & pepper, to taste .
- 26*The amount of ingredients you use depends on how much halushki you want to make. Experiment!
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Noodles, Cabbage and Onions - Halushki
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.9
- Calories from Fat 238
- Total Fat 26.5 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 47.9 mg
- Sodium 48.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g