Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a combination of 2 different recipes I found. This makes a little denser crust. It is also perfect for garlic rolls.... This is easiest to make in a mixer you mix it fairly wet. I wouldn't know how to do it in a bread machine, but I bet you could. Also, I occasionally add Parmesan Cheese, granulated garlic or Italian herbs in with the second half of the flour.
- in large bowl of mixer, dissolve the sugar in the water. (i prefer sugar in the raw, but white work just fine).
- Add oil and 2C of flour.
- Mix on medium, 2 minutes.
- Add salt and yeast, combine.
- add remaining flour.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface and knead 5 minutes.
- Divide into 2 equal balls, place in oiled bowls and cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow to rise for 1 1/2 hours in warm location (I have done as little as 45 minutes -no problems).
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and sprinkle flour over the top.
- Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a circle (12 inches).
- Add sauce and ingredients, bake in a 500 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.
This turned out pretty good -- served them at a dinner party and everyone loved it more than I did :)
Thank You for this one, I really enjoy it, now I would like to find the mix of cheese for the NY Calzone...