Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Traditional Pennsylvania New Year's Day meal. This is made in the Crockpot.
Make and share this New Year's Day Pork and Sauerkraut recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs boneless pork loin
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 4 -5 medium potatoes, quartered
- 2 lbs sauerkraut
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- Place pork in a large crockpot. Arrange potato pieces around pork.
- Cover with the sliced onions and the sauerkraut.
- Sprinkle brown sugar, pepper, and celery seeds.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
This is a great recipe, and the only change I made was to add apples. My Mom was German and she never made any kind of pork without apples in it, so after watching her cook when I was young, I had to have apples! I did add some extra potatoes as I used more then 3 pounds of pork. But I give this 2 thumbs up, very good, and really REALLY easy! Thanks for sharing, I'll be having my pork and kraut for good luck on New Years day tomorrow! Happy Cooking. :)
very good,not enough potatoes for us,so served mashed potatoes too,and served it over..no brainer to make,will make again this winter