1 hr 7 mins
Inspired by Frank Pepe’s pizzas—chewy pies, irregularly shaped, blistered, and charred.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 500°; place a pizza stone on a rack in the lowest level of the oven.
- 2Place the dough on a floured surface; holding your hands flat, pat the ball out evenly with your fingers, lifting it and turning it over several times, until it reaches 12 inches in diameter (do not knead the dough or handle it any more than is necessary; if the dough seems sticky, dust it lightly with flour).
- 3Dust a pizza peel with flour; carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel, reshaping it as needed.
- 4Shake the peel once or twice to make sure the dough does not stick; if it does, sprinkle the peel with more flour.
- 5Combine the oil, garlic, and oregano; arrange the mozzarella and fontina slices over the dough; sprinkle with the pecorino.
- 6Scatter the oil/garlic/oregano mixture over the cheese and drizzle with more oil.
- 7To slide the pizza onto the prepared baking stone, line up the edge of the peel with the back edge of the stone, then tilt the peel, jerking it gently to start the pizza moving.
- 8Once the edge of the pizza touches the stone, carefully pull back on the peel until the pizza is completely off.
- 9After the pizza is on the stone, do not move it until it firms up in 2-3 minutes.
- 10Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned; remove the pizza to a cutting board; cut into wedges and serve.
- 11Alternative: before adding the cheese, scatter cooked broccoli florets or spinach over the dough.
Browse Our Top < 4 Hours Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 4 Hours Recipes
Nutritional Facts for New Haven-Style Garlic and Cheese Pizza Bianca
Serving Size: 1 (35 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 145.5
- Calories from Fat 114
- Total Fat 12.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 27.8 mg
- Sodium 203.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.3 g
- Protein 6.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
pecorino romano cheese