Prep 1 hr
Cook 7 mins
Inspired by Frank Pepe’s pizzas—chewy pies, irregularly shaped, blistered, and charred.
Make and share this New Haven-Style Garlic and Cheese Pizza Bianca recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 500°; place a pizza stone on a rack in the lowest level of the oven.
- Place the dough on a floured surface; holding your hands flat, pat the ball out evenly with your fingers, lifting it and turning it over several times, until it reaches 12 inches in diameter (do not knead the dough or handle it any more than is necessary; if the dough seems sticky, dust it lightly with flour).
- Dust a pizza peel with flour; carefully transfer the circle of dough to the peel, reshaping it as needed.
- Shake the peel once or twice to make sure the dough does not stick; if it does, sprinkle the peel with more flour.
- Combine the oil, garlic, and oregano; arrange the mozzarella and fontina slices over the dough; sprinkle with the pecorino.
- Scatter the oil/garlic/oregano mixture over the cheese and drizzle with more oil.
- To slide the pizza onto the prepared baking stone, line up the edge of the peel with the back edge of the stone, then tilt the peel, jerking it gently to start the pizza moving.
- Once the edge of the pizza touches the stone, carefully pull back on the peel until the pizza is completely off.
- After the pizza is on the stone, do not move it until it firms up in 2-3 minutes.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned; remove the pizza to a cutting board; cut into wedges and serve.
- Alternative: before adding the cheese, scatter cooked broccoli florets or spinach over the dough.
OMG, There is no better place for pizza then in New Haven, Wooster square in particular, and Pepes is the absolute best, this was fantastic and I didn't have to leave the house for it. Really cold here right now being January, and Pepes does not deliver. Thanks!!!!
I had never had a Garlic pizza, but when I saw that this one was a copy of Frank Pepe's I had to try it. I saw a bit about Pepe's on the Travel channel and it said that it is one of the best places for pizza, so of course I had to try this!! It was great, however, I would add a bit more cheese next time. I like pizza cheesy!