Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is my Mom's recipe; the only way my Dad would eat that "purple thing". So easy and tasty! I have no idea where she got it; she had shelves and shelves of cookbooks, clippings, etc.
- Peel eggplant, cut into 1" cubes and lightly salt to sweat the bitter taste out--about 15-20 minutes.
- Cook in saucepan with water until tender--about 18 minutes; drain and cool slightly.
- Cook sausage, onion until sausage is browned and onion is soft.Combine eggplant and sausage; add egg and bread crumbs.
- Spoon into prepared casserole.
- Combine butter and cracker crumbs. Spread over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cracker crumbs are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded before adding the cracker crumbles.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Rotel Tomatoes, well drained.
Loved it! I used some hot bulk sasuage (drained) and left out the italina seasoning, sprikle with mozzarella, next time I would add a can of rotel diced tomates and use parmeasan cheese. A keeper for the picky eaters who claim not to like eggplant, but they will love this one!
I just KNEW this was going to be tasty just by looking at the recipe, so I knew I had to make it. I first went to the butcher to get some high quality pork sausage. I did add a touch of garlic and about 1/2c. sliced baby portabellos that need using to the sauteeing sausage mix. The only bread crumbs I had were three cheese so I used those. For the italian seasoning I used only 1 tablespoon as I used Italian Blend Spice Mix and that is quite potent (but delicious). I decided to try both variations. I had about 1/2 c. of leftover tomato soup so I used that instead of the rotel, and I had a pizza blend (cheddar and mozzarella) that went UNDER the cracker (CLUB crackers) crumbs and butter. I cooked this for 30 minutes until golden brown. The aroma wafting from my oven was mouthwatering. I think I must have been a southern girl in a different life, as this was right up my alley. A zesty eggplant dressing of sorts. I will make this many more times. Thank you for sharing your Moms recipe...it's a keeper.
Just wasn't very good or what I expected. Threw it away. Sorry....