1/2 Photos of My Mom's Southern Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Caroline Cooks's Note:
This is my Mom's recipe; the only way my Dad would eat that "purple thing". So easy and tasty! I have no idea where she got it; she had shelves and shelves of cookbooks, clippings, etc.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel eggplant, cut into 1" cubes and lightly salt to sweat the bitter taste out--about 15-20 minutes.
- 2Cook in saucepan with water until tender--about 18 minutes; drain and cool slightly.
- 3Cook sausage, onion until sausage is browned and onion is soft.Combine eggplant and sausage; add egg and bread crumbs.
- 4Spoon into prepared casserole.
- 5Combine butter and cracker crumbs. Spread over top of casserole.
- 6Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cracker crumbs are golden brown.
- 8Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded before adding the cracker crumbles.
- 9Mix in 1/2 cup Rotel Tomatoes, well drained.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Mom's Southern Eggplant (Aubergine) Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 323.5
- Calories from Fat 143
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 5.2 g
- Cholesterol 101.9 mg
- Sodium 431.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 14.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: