Recipe by Caroline Cooks
This is my Mom's recipe; the only way my Dad would eat that "purple thing". So easy and tasty! I have no idea where she got it; she had shelves and shelves of cookbooks, clippings, etc.
Top Review by Deb Petrill
Loved it! I used some hot bulk sasuage (drained) and left out the italina seasoning, sprikle with mozzarella, next time I would add a can of rotel diced tomates and use parmeasan cheese. A keeper for the picky eaters who claim not to like eggplant, but they will love this one!
- 1 small eggplant
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter cracker crumb
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant, cut into 1" cubes and lightly salt to sweat the bitter taste out--about 15-20 minutes.
- Cook in saucepan with water until tender--about 18 minutes; drain and cool slightly.
- Cook sausage, onion until sausage is browned and onion is soft.Combine eggplant and sausage; add egg and bread crumbs.
- Spoon into prepared casserole.
- Combine butter and cracker crumbs. Spread over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes until cracker crumbs are golden brown.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded before adding the cracker crumbles.
- Mix in 1/2 cup Rotel Tomatoes, well drained.