Recipe by VickyJ
This can be a snack, appetizer or lunch. I used simple white mushrooms, regular Gouda cheese and jarred marinara sauce, but you can get creative with this. The combination of the Gouda with the mushrooms created such a delicious difference over the usual mozzarella cheese.
Top Review by K9 Owned
I expected to like this but I had no idea I'd be such a piggy about it! I made 1/2 a very long baguette and ate the whole thing myself. So simple and so very, very tasty!
Made in honour of VickiJ. RIP my dear.
- 2 French rolls
- 1⁄2-1 cup prepared marinara sauce or 1⁄2-1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shaved gouda cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Open french rolls and lay out on sheet pan with insides facing up.
- Smooth marinara/pizza sauce on each roll surface evenly.
- Alternate a few mushrooms, with some shaved cheese, mushrooms, shaved cheese and then a little sprinkle of basil.
- Bake for 20-25 min or just until cheese is melted and browned in a few spots -- ovens vary.
- Slice into smaller pieces for an appetizer or snack. Serve with a tossed salad or fruit for a great lunch!