Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
I'm thinking I got this from a cookbook originally, but I can't remember which one to save my life. And being me I've changed it around, added some stuff and deleted other stuff anyway, so I guess that'll be all right. This is nice for summer because it adds almost no heat to the kitchen. It's also a nice variation for those trying (or needing) to keep the carbs low. You can use peas or chopped green beans in place of the broccoli.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped into small pieces (if using frozen, defrost)
- 2⁄3 cup instant couscous (whole wheat if you can find it)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Slice chicken into thin strips about an inch long and 1/2-inch wide.
- Combine ginger, cumin, turmeric, salt and pepper; sprinkle over chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet; add chicken and garlic and saute for 5 minutes, until chicken is light brown on all sides.
- Add the chicken broth and broccoli; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in couscous, cover, remove from heat and let stand 5-7 minutes, until liquid is absorbed.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley.
To achieve the level of flavor I was looking for I found I had to adjust the spices by doubling the cumin and ginger; I also think more garlic would have been okay. We really enjoyed this one dish meal; it was quick and easy and I'll make it again. I used chicken tenders and peas and those worked very well.
This recipe was a hit with my family and even my 1yr old. I did not have any broccoli so I used green beans and it turned out great!
I, like so many others, have a very picky husband that ABSOLUTELY LOVED this recipe! I followed the recipe as written, however, added a little more broccoli! It was fabulous! I will definitely be making this one skillet dish again and again. I can't wait for my parents to come visit so I can make it for them, too!!! GREAT! GREAT! GREAT!