Recipe by DeeCooks
This is similar to a dish served at a restaurant in San Juan Bautista, which is the only reason I can think of that it's called "Mission" chicken. The bacon and smoked paprika give it a nice smoky flavor my husband likes.....It's quick and easy,and dinner in one pot --that's what I like about it. ***NOTE: Sage grows wild in California, so it was a common seasoning. If you don't like sage, don't use it! Other herbs work well also.
Top Review by jilkat25
YUM!! I made this last night using about 4 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and it turned out much better than expected. I didn't use sage since it isn't a favorite here but I didn't replace it with another herb either except some dried parsley. I didn't have a bell pepper and wasn't in the mood for canned chilies that would have made it taste like a Mexican dish. I cooked up about 3/4 package of maple smoked bacon (all I had) and dredged the thighs in seasoned flour before browning them. I used a good splash of cooking Marsala since I didn't have any white wine, and I think any kind of wine or spirit, even beer, would work, or just leave it out. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. It took an entire cardboard container (32 oz.) of "natural" chicken broth. It turned out great! Real nice and smoky with the dark paprika! I probably used 3 tablespoons or more of it because I really wanted to be able to taste it. I had printed the recipe out and will tape it inside my cabinet so I can find it again. It was very fast and easy! The only thing I will do differently next time is to squeeze some lemon juice into it. When I later fixed myself a second plate of chicken and rice, I sprinkled some True Lemon crystallized lemon over it (didn't have a fresh lemon) before I warmed it. I really think it needed that little extra bite of citrus flavor so I wrote that on my printout for next time. I think a tablespoon of orange juice concentrate stirred into the broth before cooking would be good, too. Thanks for giving me something new to do with chicken! I will definitely make this again! There were only four of us home last night but everyone wanted seconds and there were hardly have any leftovers!!
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 small bell pepper, chopped (any color)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh sage, chopped
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- chopped flat leaf parsley (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon over medium-high heat in a wide skillet until crisp. Remove bacon, crumble, set aside.
- Saute chicken thighs in bacon fat until almost done (about 5 minutes.) Set aside.
- Stir in rice, and cook until rice turns a light golden color.
- Add bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, carrot, saute 'til softened.
- Stir in sage, stock and wine.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Place chicken thighs on top, sprinkle with smoked paprika.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, rice should be done and chicken will be done.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving, if desired.