Norahs Girl's Note:
This is a very popular South african Teatime treat/Dessert a plus in its favour is it can be made in advance.The traditional version is made with a Puff Pastry base but I find a short crust type base makes it much easier to cut and handle.The filling can also be put into Custard cups and served as a milk pudding.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cream the margarine and sugar together and beat in the egg.
- 2Add the flour and salt and knead until a soft dough is formed.
- 3Press the mixture into a greased circular pie dish and bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
- 4Bring the milk and margarine to the boil.
- 5Cream the sugar, eggs, maizena, flour and vanilla essence.
- 6Add some of the hot milk to the creamed mixture, then pour it back into the pot and heat gently until it thickens.
- 7DO NOT BOIL.
- 8Pour the filling into the pie crust and cool.
- 9Refrigerate until required and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milk Tart
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 413.0
- Calories from Fat 151
- Total Fat 16.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.9 g
- Cholesterol 100.0 mg
- Sodium 171.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 30.2 g
- Protein 8.3 g