Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very popular South african Teatime treat/Dessert a plus in its favour is it can be made in advance.The traditional version is made with a Puff Pastry base but I find a short crust type base makes it much easier to cut and handle.The filling can also be put into Custard cups and served as a milk pudding.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and salt and knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into a greased circular pie dish and bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
- Bring the milk and margarine to the boil.
- Cream the sugar, eggs, maizena, flour and vanilla essence.
- Add some of the hot milk to the creamed mixture, then pour it back into the pot and heat gently until it thickens.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and cool.
- Refrigerate until required and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.
As a Saffer living in London and my daughter's birthday tomorrow, melktert was the only option for a traditional treat. What a great recipe this is. Maklik....
i am a South African expat living in the USA. feeling homesick and desperately craving melktert, i found this recipe. it turned out perfectly - it doesn't get better than this!
What a lovely easy way to use up milk. The crust was super easy and the filling went together like a charm. My husband can't tolerate wheat flour, so I made the whole on fine Spelt flour (including the cornflour portion) and it set beautifully. Served it with nutmeg on top.