Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a very popular South african Teatime treat/Dessert a plus in its favour is it can be made in advance.The traditional version is made with a Puff Pastry base but I find a short crust type base makes it much easier to cut and handle.The filling can also be put into Custard cups and served as a milk pudding.
- Cream the margarine and sugar together and beat in the egg.
- Add the flour and salt and knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Press the mixture into a greased circular pie dish and bake at 350°F/180°C for 15 minutes.
- Bring the milk and margarine to the boil.
- Cream the sugar, eggs, maizena, flour and vanilla essence.
- Add some of the hot milk to the creamed mixture, then pour it back into the pot and heat gently until it thickens.
- DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and cool.
- Refrigerate until required and sprinkle with cinnamon to serve.