Prep 1 min
Cook 3 mins
Simple alternative to pan fried onions in a fraction of the time and with a fraction of the mess to clear up. I do it without fat but you could always add a little oil or butter and that works very well. Perfect for hot-dogs and burgers when in a hurry and especially convenient for those quick meals for one person.
- 80 g onions (1 medium-size, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sunflower oil (optional)
- oil (optional) or butter (optional)
- Slice the onion/s just as you would for frying them for burgers or hot-dogs and place on a microwaveable plate (or in a microwaveable bowl if doing lots of onions to feed several people).
- Add oil or a knob of butter if desired.
- Microwave for 2 - 3 minutes or until done, gently stir/mix halfway through cooking time.
- Microwaves vary greatly in strength, but as a guide, for one medium onion - enough for a good sized hot dog, in my 1000W machine I microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds then loosely mix with my fingers. I then set the microwave for another 1 minute 30 seconds but I don't press start until the sausages/burgers etc are almost finished being grilled then press start just before serving so that the onion is piping hot.
- They have a bit more 'kick' to them than pan-fried onions if you do them without the fat. If using oil or butter do go easy as very little is required.
- It's a viable and very handy way of 'frying' onions whether you're a healthy-eating fanatic like me or not!
Ethan, you're frickin genius! lol. I have been trying to lower my fat intake for a while. So far
no challenges...except for this one dish which calls for deep fried crunchy string onions. You absolutely saved a family tradition recipe! Shukran :)