Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
Easy and tasty chocolate bread pudding made in just a few minutes in the microwave. Ordinary sandwich bread works fine or you can use fancier bread for a fancier pudding. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.
- 3 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter (3/4 stick)
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate chips
- 6 -7 slices day-old bread, cut 1-inch cubes (5 cups lightly packed)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine milk, butter, and chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on HIGH for 90 seconds, then stir; microwave for another 30 seconds and stir again (if butter and chocolate has not melted at this point continue microwaving and stirring at 30 second intervals until melted).
- In an 8x8-inch glass baking dish or one of similar size, spread bread cubes evenly, then sprinle evenly with raisins, nuts, and salt.
- Quickly beat together chocolate mixture, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon (mix well).
- Pour mixture over bread and microwave on BAKE-7 or MEDIUM for 12-14 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.