My French friend came over for lunch recently & as we stood in the kitchen chatting & sampling the fine wine, I thought I'd impress her and whip up a homemade mayonnaise for the eggs! As I started my drop by drop method, she laughed and showed me this AMAZING way of making mayonnaise in a flash! The only criteria seemed to be the bowl, or lack of a bowl - she uses an old fashioned TALL glass measuring jug, which I also happen to have. Once you have made it this way, you will never go back to the drop by drop way ever again! Here's Michelle's Mayonnaise!
- Take a tall measuring jug or a tall glass container - it must be tall apparently!
- Put the egg yolks, Dijon mustard, garlic if using, salt & pepper in the jug. Mix them together.
- Pour in the oil.
- Using a hand blender - plunge it all the way to the bottom and then turn it on.
- NOTE: (The hand blender is one of those long thin ones, that has concealed blades underneath at the bottom.).
- Then very slowly pull it up towards the top of the jug, you will see the mixture turning into mayonnaise as you pull it up!
- Add the lemon juice as soon as your mixture has turned into mayonnaise!
- Blitz it again with the hand blender, taste & season again if you wish.
- Store in a jam jar for up to a week in the fridge.
- N.B. If you don't have a container which holds 500 ml, you can halve the quantities with no problem at all.
- Et voila, c'est parfait!