1/1 Photo of Mexican Chicken- OAMC
Munchkin Mama's Note:
This is really a versatile recipe, and economical, too. It can be used so many ways... as a filling for burritos, a topping for nachos, or as a side dish. I've also served it in bowls with nachos for scooping. I like to add some cheese no matter how I serve it. I had never cooked with barley before I started making this, but found it easy and tasty- kind of like rice. As prepared here it makes a lot, but you could easily half the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups Quaker quick barley (you can use regular barley- see note below)
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 6 cups cooked chicken (chopped or shredded)
Spices- use these OR use 2 packages of taco seasoning
- 1In a large Dutch oven, cook the onion and garlic in oil until tender.
- 2Add in all ingredients (including spices) except for chicken. Bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Add the cooked chicken; continue simmering another 10 minutes or until the chicken is heated through and the barley is tender.
- 5To freeze: cool, spoon into quart-sized freezer bags, label, and freeze flat.
- 6To serve: Thaw chicken mixture. Heat in a skillet until hot. Serve over corn tortilla chips or scoop into flour tortillas, fajita-style.
- 7Note: If you choose to use regular barley rather than quick cooking barley, you'll want to cook it ahead of time, which takes about an hour. Follow the directions on the box.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Chicken- OAMC
Serving Size: 1 (314 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.1
- Calories from Fat 51
- Total Fat 5.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 614.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 15.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Quaker quick barley