Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nice sandwich to make for a luncheon, a romantic picnic or outdoor family outing in nice weather; make ahead of time, refrigerate and serve later. Or serve hot aside soup or salad for a comfort food type of dinner during the cold winter months. I've used the George Foreman to grill the chicken and have grilled the sun-dried tomatoes atop the breast, along with dried oregano seasoning.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 lb)
- 4 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil
- 8 sprigs fresh oregano
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices bacon, cooked
- 2 large very ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 4 pieces focaccia bread, 4 to 6 inches square,cut in half horizontally to make a top/bottom for sandwich
- Slice a"pocket" into the side of each chicken breast; stuff with a sun-dried tomato and 2 sprigs of oregano.
- Rub chicken with 1 Tbsp oil from the sun-dried tomatoes and season with the salt and pepper.
- Grill and baste with remaining 1 Tbsp oil from the tomatoes (internal temp 180 when chicken is done).
- While chicken is grilling, combine ingredients for the dressing in a small bowl.
- Remove chicken and cut into long, thin slices.
- Spread the bottom part of the focaccia bread with the dressing; divide chicken slices (enough for 4 sandwiches) and add, as well as 2 slices bacon, tomato slices and lettuce leaf per sandwich.