Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 4 lbs sweet potatoes (about 10 cups) or 4 lbs white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 10 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven cook the potatoes, covered, in enough boiling lightly salted water to cover for 12 minutes or until tender; drain. Remove potatoes from pan.
- Add the butter to the hot Dutch oven and let it melt. Add the potatoes to the Dutch oven; mash with a potato masher until smooth. Stir in the sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper. Cook and stir over low heat until heated through. Transfer to a serving dish. If desired, place a dot of butter on top. Makes 8 to 10 servings.
- Make-ahead directions: Prepare potatoes through Step 2 but do not heat through. Transfer to a 2-1/2- to 3-quart casserole. Cover and chill for up to 24 hours. Before serving, preheat oven to 325°F Bake, covered, in the preheated oven for 55 to 60 minutes or until heated through.��.
- Maple Mashed Sweet Potatoes: Prepare as above. Before serving, drizzle 1/4 cup maple syrup over potatoes and sprinkle with 1/4 cup chopped hazelnuts or almonds, toasted.
Really good! I love sweet potatoes. My DH, not so much. I had some left over from another recipe and knew he wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of eating them as is. This recipe was the perfect compromise. I substituted plain yogurt for the sour cream and added about a 1/2 t. of garlic powder while mashing. He loved them. Thanks for posting the recipe.
A simple basic sweet potato mash which we all enjoyed, though I did add a couple of pinches of cinnamon and nutmeg but otherwise made as directed. Went beautifully with Braised Lamb Shanks in Orange-Merlot Sauce (Passover). Thank you Lizzie Rodriquez, made for Healthy Choice - ABC tag game.
A recipe that made my ears itch. My husband talked about it for hours.