Speckled Sweet Potato Mash
I must admit, I find it really hard to make anything without chilies and garlic, which is probably why I don't make many desserts really. This is a great spicy, savoury mash, and it isn't too bad fat-wise either. Use a flavoured cream cheese or greek yogurt if you prefer
- Ready In:
- 400 g sweet potatoes, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, halved and deseeded
- 1 green chili pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 -4 tablespoons fat free cream cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Roast the red pepper in a hot (220C) oven for approximately 30-minutes until skin is blackened.
- Cool for a few minutes, peel and chop flesh into small dice.
- Meanwhile, chop the sweet potatoes into large chunks and boil with the garlic cloves for approximately 15-20 minutes until tender.
- Heat olive oil in a small pan and fry chili for 3-4 minutes over a low heat. Stir in chopped red pepper.
- Drain sweet potato and garlic and mash with 2 tbsp cream cheese and milk, adding more if needed.
- Stir red pepper, chili and coriander into mash. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
I've never thought of using cream cheese with sweet potatoes before (even though I love them with russets) but it added a wonderful creamy texture. The green chilies combine nicely with the garlic and red pepper. Thanks for a new way to fix sweet potatoes that doesn't require a lot of sugar! Roxygirl
Wonderful!! Even my hubby gave it two thumbs up!! I didn't peel the potatoes beforehand...just cut them into chunks, boiled them (with the peeled garlic cloves), and slipped the potato peels off. Mashed them with my immersion blender. This is such a super recipe - one I will definitely make again and again!! THANKS!!!