Recipe by BamaBelle30
Found in 2007 Pillsbury cookbook. What's better than mashed potatoes, French fried onions, and cheese??
Top Review by Domestic Goddess
For "instant" mashed potatoes, these weren't too bad. I enjoyed them much more reheated in the microwave a day later. When I added the cheddar cheese, I added 1-1/2 cups, plus I also added 1/2 cup of HORMEL REAL BACON BITS, and topped the potatoes with 1-1/4 cups of the French fried onions. I baked these potatoes in the oven for exactly 25 minutes, and after I added the French fried onions, I baked them for just 4 minutes, as they do brown quickly. One more thing, after removing potatoes from the oven, I would let them sit for at least 5 minutes, so they can thicken up just a bit, (or your taters will be soupy) and no need to worry about them cooling off too soon, cuz they stay "hot" for quite sometime. Thank you for the recipe!!
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups instant potato flakes
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup cooked bacon, pieces
- 1 cup French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. In 3-quart saucepan, heat water and butter to boiling. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add milk; remove from heat.
- Stir in potato flakes with fork until potatoes are desired consistancy. Stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Spoon into ungreased 13 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Sprinke bacon and onions over top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until hot.