Recipe by CaramelPie
I got this recipe from a bag of Martha White cornmeal. I wanted to save it here. My daughter uses it for her cornbread dressing.
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup oil or 1⁄4 cup melted shortening
- 2 cups martha white plain cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch ovenproof skillet or 9-inch square pan; place in oven to heat.
- In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well.
- Pour batter into greased pan.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Note: 1 1/3 cup milk can be substituted for buttermilk. Also, recipe can be baked in muffin cups or cornsticks pan. Grease 12 muffin cup or cornsticks pan. Fill muffin cups or cornsticks pan 2/3 full. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Variation: Sausage Cornbread: Stir 1/2 lb. cooked sausage into prepared batter.