Recipe by Charlotte J
Serve this herb-flecked butter on everything from mashed potatoes to dinner rolls. It’s also wonderful for rubbing under the skin of turkey and chicken.
- 1 cup salted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup finely diced shallot
- 2 tablespoons dry vermouth or 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons fresh sweet marjoram, finely chopped or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon finely ground white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the shallots and season with a pinch of salt.
- Sauté until soft, but do not brown.
- Add the vermouth, and simmer until the pan is almost dry.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Place the butter in a medium mixing bowl and, with an electric mixer (fitted with the paddle) or wooden spoon, beat until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides.
- Add the marjoram and pepper, and beat to incorporate, scraping down the sides.
- Add the cooled shallot mixture and beat to combine.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Scrape into a small bowl, serving crock or butter molds and cover tightly; or shape into a long roll in grease-proof paper (plastic, wax or parchment) for storing and slicing as needed.