Recipe by Tisme
This recipe is a sweet preserve. I used to make it for my M.I.L. for Christmas, as it incorporated her 2 favourite flavours, mango and ginger! She loved it and devoured it every year! She was not a fan of the chilli, so I used to tie a vanilla pod and a few whole cloves in muslin instead..... which was removed before bottling of course! This made for more of a sweeter preserve for her. You could also use star anise of cracked cardamom pods in a tied muslin bag as something different. This makes about 4 jars...... but will depend on the size jars you use. N.B. You will need approx 900gr (2 lb) mangoes for this recipe (4 mangoes)
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow Tisme, wow. I love mangoes. Fresh, cooked in preserves, jams or lemonades, you can't go wrong. This delicious recipe does not disappoint, it is the nicest, best tasting preserve that I have made here on food to date. I now have a go to for mango preserves. The flavor is simply outstanding, sweet, tart and spicy. The texture is perfect, thick, light and tender. I made as written but added a Thai red bird chili pepper and 1/2 a big vanilla bean to the mixture and also used white balsamic vinegar. Everything worked beautifully with the mangoes. Thank you so much for sharing a recipe that has gone into my Favorites Cookbook for 2014. Kudos to you my dear.
- 4 mangoes, ripe, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 -2 red chile, deseeded and finely chopped
- 5 cm ginger, fresh root, peeled and grated
- 2 lemons, rind of grated and juice of
- 600 ml water
- 450 g light muscovado sugar
- 175 g sultanas, golden sultana's
- 2 -3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the mango's, chillies and ginger in a pan (a pan suitable for preserving), add the lemon rind, juice and water & simmer to the boil for approx 20 minutes.
- Add the sugar and heat gently until the sugar has completely dissolved then bring to the boil and boil for a frurther 5 minutes.
- Leave to cool slightly and pour into warmed sterilized jars and seal.
- When completly cold label and store in cool place.