Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My name is Leah, but I am not "Mama Leah" Mama Leah is a New York Jewish woman who has a restaurant and a cookbook, I believe. Cold Beet Borscht is a staple of Eastern European Jewish food. All recipes vary, each offering a little something different. This one is served cold with a hot potato in it. Truly meatless for those vegetarian folks.. The unique blend of hot and cold is something different, that I enjoy. Also splendid on a hot day. (Came from Mama Leah's Jewish Kitchen" hint: wear old clothes or an apron when preparing beets! THEY STAIN!
- Boil water in stock pot.
- To prepare beets: Wash beets well, scrubbing away dirt and sand.
- Trim the root and stem ends and discard.
- Cut in large (2-3 inch) slices.
- Add to water: beets, onion, lemon juice, salt, and sugar.
- Boil 1 hour, let beets cool and peel.
- Chop coarsely in food processor, and return to broth.
- Place pot in refrigerator until cold.
- 1/2 hour before serving: boil and peel potatoes, drain and place one in each serving bowl.
- Ladle cold borscht over hot potatoes and serve with sour cream on the side.
This recipe is really good!! :)