Recipe by Sharlene~W
This is a lower-fat version of lemon cake I discovered in a recent issue of Cooking Light. The frosting works best when the cream cheese is cold--use it right from the refrigerator. Don't skip letting the frosting chill for an hour before you frost cake otherwise frosting will be too thin. Store finished cake in the refrigerator.
- 1 1⁄3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon rind, grated
- 3 tablespoons lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups fat-free buttermilk
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh lemon rind
- 2 teaspoons lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare cake: Place first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 5 minutes).
- Add eggs and egg whites, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir will with a whisk.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with four mixture; beat well after each addition.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper for bottom of 2 (9-inch) round cake pans and spray sides with cooking spray.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Sharply tap pans once on counter to remove air bubbles.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare frosting: Place 2 tablespoons butter and the next 4 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat at low speed just until blended (do not over beat).
- Chill 1 hour.
- Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spread with 1/2 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining cake layer.
- Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake.
- Store cake loosely covered in the refrigerator.