Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A healthier spin on the traditional banana bread
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 applesauce
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar (or fructose)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 mashed overripe bananas (2 1/3 cups)
- 1⁄3 cup chocolate chips or 1⁄3 cup walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 9x5 loaf pan with Pam or similar.
- In large bowl, combine flour, soda and salt.
- In separate bowl, cream together apple sauce and brown sugar.
- Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended.
- Stir banana mixture into flour mixture, stir just to moisten.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60-65 minutes until a toothpick inserted into center of loaf comes out clean.
- Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- For muffins: spray muffin tin with Pam or similar, bake for about 25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.