I am on a low carb diet (South Beach) and I've found this recipe to be best in satisfying my craving of pasta with red sauce or pizza....god, I miss those days! But this is just as good and healthy too; a good dish for a vegetarian that may also be watching their carb intake. Serve this as a main dish (serves 3) or as a side dish (serves 6).
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups no-added-sugar low carb spaghetti sauce (I use Hunt's no added sugar Italian baking sauce, in a can) or 1 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce (I use Hunt's no added sugar Italian baking sauce, in a can)
- italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- dried basil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Peel eggplant, if you wish, and cut into 1/4 inch thick round slices.
- Lightly grease a medium sized casserole dish and place half of the eggplant on the bottom.
- Top with 1/2 cup of parmesan, 3/4 cup mozzarella and 3/4 cup of sauce, sprinkle with spices.
- Repeat layers and again, sprinkle with spices.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender.
- Uncover and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella and once again, sprinkle with spices; bake for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
I *must* start out by saying that I've always LOATHED eggplant. Flat out refused to eat it as a child and never cared for it since. But now that I'm on a no carb/very low carb diet...I thought I'd give this a go.
It is hands down one of the best things I've tasted yet in the two weeks I've been trying no carb recipes.
I used my own homemade sauce that doesn't have any sugar anyway (feel free to message me for the recipe!)and here's the part I tweaked: after reading all the comments (and being pressed for time tonight!) I took out my largest skillet and cooked the cut eggplant slices on either side, NO OIL OR BUTTER, until they were just soft. I'd say about 2 mins per side? followed the rest of the instructions and put it in a 350* oven for 20mins covered and 10 mins uncovered at the end. PERFECTION!
Made this last night and it was excellant! Precooked the eggplant slices on the grill, 5 min per side. I did find a really good sauce to use with no added sugar and low sodium (360/half cup). Also used part skim mozzarella. Added pepperoni to half for my husband. Smelled incredible! Will definately be making again.
I added green olives, very delicious. This was quick and easy to prepare and it was very good. My boyfriend, who did not like eggplant, liked it.