Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I love almonds. These light little cakes have a surprise chocolate centre. Use dark, milk or white chocolate, whatever you prefer!
- 4 eggs
- 175 g caster sugar (3/4 cup)
- 200 g ground almonds
- 1 fresh lemon rind, finely grated
- 75 g self raising flour (1/2 cup)
- 100 g of good quality chocolate, broken into squares.
- icing sugar, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- Line a 12 cup muffin tray with paper liners, or use a patty cake tray with approx.
- 18 holes and line with paper liners.
- Beat the eggs and sugar with an electric beater until mixture thickens to the consistency of thickened cream.
- Fold in the ground almonds, lemon rind and flour.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases.
- Press one square of chocolate into the centre of each cake so the the chocolate is completely surrounded by the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Cool and dust with sugar to serve.
These were lovely and will be made again - very easy! I added a little baking soda and simply whisked the eggs and the sugar with a fork rather than bother with the beater. The cakes were defo at their best still warm with melted chocolate inside. Yummy. Thanks for posting!
This was a lovely almond cake with a nice lemon flavour. I made it with 3 eggs, as I ground the almonds myself and they aren't as dry as the pre-packaged stuff. I put a square of dark chocolate but I'm sure milk chocolate would have been just as nice. A wonderful cake for a tea party.