Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This couscous dish has a sweet and tangy combination of fresh and cooked ingredients. Thinly sliced apple and chicken breast are served on a bed of couscous with vegetables and sweet golden raisins. Cherry tomatoes and toasted pecans add a wonderful garnish to this array of flavors and colors.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the chicken breast in a baking dish. Zest one lemon on top of the chicken and squeeze all of the juice over it.
- Bake the chicken for approximately 30 minutes or until done (this is for boneless skinless chicken breast, adjust cook time if using chicken with bones).
- After you remove the chicken from the oven, lay the pecan pieces on a pie tin (or some type of metal baking sheet) and bake them for 10 minutes.
- Zest the second lemon into a bowl and set aside.
- Measure the 1 1/2 cups of water into a pot and add a dash of salt.
- Squeeze the juice from the second lemon into the pot with the water and bring it to a boil.
- All at once, add the couscous, peas, shredded carrot, basil, and golden raisins to the pot. Then cover and let it simmer for two minutes.
- Stir the couscous mixture slightly and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Thinly slice the apple and chicken breast. Cut each cherry tomato in half.
- Serve the couscous in a large dish and arrange the chicken and apple slices on top. Then place the cherry tomatoes around the edge of the slices and sprinkle the pecans and lemon zest on top (be as decorative as you would like).
I really enjoyed this recipe, and thought this was a good blend of something traditional, like carrot and garbonzo beans with something new like chicken breast and apples. I did add one extra apple, because that is one of my favourite all time frui.