Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Modified for my vegetarian hubby who hates onions.
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 90 g butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, crushed
- 150 ml dry white wine
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock, warm
- 25 g parmesan cheese
- 25 g pecorino cheese
- 25 g mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pinch saffron thread
- 100 ml lemon juice
- 30 g parmesan cheese, shaved, for serving
- Add saffron threads to some boiling water and leave to steep.
- Heat oil and 1/2 the butter in a large saucepan or wok over moderate heat. Add garlic and rice stirring until coated and glossy, but not coloured.
- Increase heat to high, pour in the wine. When the mixture bubbles, reduce the heat to medium, simmer until wine is absorbed.
- Keep the rice at a lively temperature and add 2 cups of warm stock at a time, stirring until all absorbed before each new addition.
- Pour in the saffron infused water and the lemon juice with the final stock amount and stir well, until rice is just tender - about 25 minutes.
- Add the remaining butter and the cheeses. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with shaved parmesan.