photo by KateL
- Ready In:
- Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer.
- Ladle a little stock into a small bowl.
- Add the saffron threads or powder and leave to infuse.
- Melt 4 tbsp of the butter in a large saucepan until foaming.
- Add the onion and cook gently for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until softened.
- Add the rice.
- Stir until grains start to swell and burst, then add a few ladlefuls of the stock, with the saffron liquid, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir over low heat until the stock is absorbed.
- Add the remaining stock, a few ladlefuls at a time, allowing the rice to absorb all of the liquid before adding more, and stirring constantly.
- After 20-25 minutes, the rice should be al dente and the risotto golden yellow, moist and creamy.
- Gently stir in about two-thirds of the parmesan and the rest of the butter.
- Heat through until the butter has melted, then taste for seasoning.
- Transfer the risotto to a warmed serving bowl or platter and serve immediately, with the remaining parmesan sprinkled on top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have now twice made this a meal by first frying some mushrooms and 2 x chorizo sausage (both ingredients diced rather small). Made the risotto as per instructions, apart from adding about a half a cup of white wine to start and let it boil down before startng to add the stock. Once it was ready, I stirred through the butter, mushrooms, chorizo and parmesan. Very moorish. Great recipe Mel
This recipe is Fabulous! Simple to make. Yes, a tad time consuming (30 min), But worth it. I made this for a dinner party and they All not only wanted the recipe, but wanted more! (Glad I had made a bunch of it) I made it with arborio rice, saffron, and used the chicken stock. Did not add any salt, but a little pepper. Be sure to Finely chop the onions and cook them properly. You can buy fresh Parmesan cheese in a bag. I found the saffron at a fairly close Indian grocery (much less expensive and More than my local grocery stores). Placer County, CA
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
When I'm not nose-deep in a book for school, I love to spend time with friends and family, shop, travel, and surf on 'Zaar of course! I recently began taking ballroom dance lessons and even though I have two left feet most days, I still enjoy it!