Recipe by Catherine Robson
Recommended for lemon & garlic lovers. From a Woman's Weekly clipping - circa 1988. I haven't made this for years as it was lost in the packing of our last house move. Very happy to have found this again so I am sharing this on Zaar so I can always find it.
- 1 1⁄2-2 kg leg of lamb
- 5 garlic cloves (cut into thin slivers)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry white wine
- 3 teaspoons cornflour
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 thin lemon slices (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
- 1 small beef stock cube (crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 180c.
- Trim excess fat from lamb.
- Using a sharp pointed knife, stab roast all over & insert garlic slivers in each cut.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Place roast in baking dish & massage with oregano.
- Combine lemon juice, lemon zest and wine. Pour mixture over lamb.
- Cover dish with either lid or foil.
- Bake in oven allowing 20 minutes per 500 grams, basting lamb at each 20 minute interval of cooking time.
- Remove lamb from dish & cover with foil to keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Blend cornflour with 1 tablespoon of the water.
- Add to the reserved pan juices in baking dish.
- Add remaining water & crumbled stock cube.
- Stir over heat until sauce thickens slightly.
- Add lemon slices & chopped parsley if desired.
- Serve sliced lamb with sauce and vegetables of your choice.