Recipe by seesko
A great little cookie to serve with coffee or tea.
Top Review by Annacia
I'm really waffling about how to rate these cookies. The recipe works very well indeed and is very accepting of Splenda in place of the sugar. They are crispy on the outside and soft inside. I think whats holding me up is that (to me) they are more like small bits of cornbread than cookies. The lemon is faint and more may have helped. I was expecting them to spread flat as the batter is on the thin side and be all crispy. They are more like wee pillows. If you enjoy sweetened corn bread I think that you'll enjoy this recipe. Made for Photo Tag.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine flour and the next 4 ingredients (through ground ginger); stir with a whisk. Combine sugar and butter in a large bowl, and beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes). Scrape sides of the bowl occasionally. Add egg; beat well. Beat in grated lemon rind. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and beat at medium-low speed just until blended.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 teaspoons batter 2 inches apart onto 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned and almost firm. Remove from oven. Cool on pans for 2 minutes or until firm. Remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack.