Recipe by Helen Ganim
I grew up eating this- usually every Friday, because my family doesn't eat meat on Fridays. Its so good, I personally consider it comfort food. Its healthy, simple, and full of fiber! I often eat leftovers in a sandwich with veggies. Goes well with olives, pita bread, raw onion, celery, carrots, lettuce.
- 1 medium onion, diced (you can use more if you like, I do)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup brown rice (I use Uncle Ben's)
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 4 cups water (approximately)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (you can use more or less)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan.
- add onions, and cook on medium high heat until they are brown- stir occasionally.
- stir in rice and lentils, mix in with onions.
- add water.
- add salt, mix contents.
- cover and simmer.
- This will take over an hour. The water will be absorbed into rice and lentils. Make sure they are soft. Sometimes you may need to add a little more water. Stir occasionally.
- Best if served in a shallow bowl, and let sit for 10 minutes or so. Enjoy warm or cold.