Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My husband's German mom made these cookies every year for the family and to give away to anyone who visited during the Christmas season. She had batches squirreled away everywhere in her house! I have no idea how many batches she made....but boy, are they good. I decided to follow the tradition with my children and now I am making cookies with my grandchildren. I am not sure exactly what makes these so good, maybe the baking powder...but enjoy...
- Cream butter and sugar together until light yellow.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until fluffy.
- Add baking powder and salt. Stir until mixed.
- Add flour one cup at a time until you have a very stiff batter using about four cups of flour. Reserve extra flour for rolling out the dough.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap. I make flat discs to make rolling the dough out easier.
- Chill overnight in the refrigerator until firm.
- Roll out on a floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes until the are just brown at the edges.
- Frost with you favorite frosting.