1/4 Photos of Ivo's Mutant Ricotta-Less Lasagna
1 hr 15 mins
Sandi (From CA)'s Note:
This is a specialty of my husband who I married because of our shared loathing of ricotta. ;o) He uses a white sauce instead and it's positively delish! Time estimate is approximate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 -2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence or 1 tablespoon mixed Italian herbs
- vegetable oil, with which to grease baking dish
- 1 (14 ounce) can white sauce
- 1 cup sharp shredded cheese, e.g. sharp cheddar, old Amsterdam if you're lucky enough to find it
- 6 sheets lasagna noodles, enough uncooked sheets to form three layers in your baking dish
- 2 -3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1MEAT SAUCE -- Heat the oil, then crumble the hamburger in the pan until it is evenly browned. Make the chunks as large or as small as you prefer. Add chili powder, salt, pepper, tomato paste, garlic, the herbs and enough water to almost drown the meat. Stir briskly to break up the tomato paste, heat to med-high and allow to reduce a little until it's nice and thick. (takes about 20 minutes and basically trashes the stove, but oh well).
- 2WHITE (CHEESEY) SAUCE -- Empty can of white sauce into small pot, adding some milk if it's too thick, and heat slowly and gently, stirring constantly. Stir in the cup of shredded cheese.
- 3ASSEMBLY -- Oil a baking dish. Preheat oven to 350°F Start with a dollop of meat sauce on the bottom. Then place sheets of lasagna side by side (how many depends on how big your baking dish is -- ours holds two sheets next to each other nicely), 1/3rd of the can of white sauce, a portion of the meat sauce, and lots of shredded cheese.
- 4Repeat this twice more -- lasagna, white sauce, meat sauce and cheese…. lasagna, white sauce, meat sauce and cheese.
- 5Put into oven, bake for 25-30 minutes. If the cheese on top isn't crispy enough, broil the heck out of it for another 5 minutes or so. Prepare to have your arteries harden while-u-wait.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ivo's Mutant Ricotta-Less Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.3
- Calories from Fat 296
- Total Fat 32.9 g
- Saturated Fat 16.0 g
- Cholesterol 106.9 mg
- Sodium 734.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 31.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
herbes de provence