Recipe by NewNerdMom
This recipe I adapted from a stuffed mushroom and another stuffed zucchini recipe. It's a great way to use those extra large zucchini that somehow appear in the garden overnight. This is not low fat, but it is totally delicious.
- 1 large zucchini (12-15 inches long)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mild Italian sausage
- 16 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shredded (separated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Split zucchini lengthwise after cutting off the very ends.
- Scoop out seeds from center of zucchini allowing 1-2 inches of flesh on the outside of the "boat." (I cut a small amount off the under side of each boat to allow it to lay flat.).
- Place boats on large jelly roll pan. (I cover the pan with aluminum foil to make clean up easier.).
- In large skillet, begin browning sausage, mushrooms, and onion. When mixture is about half done, add garlic. Continue to cook until meat is cooked through.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir in bread crumbs, cream cheese and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and blend well.
- Spoon mixture into zucchini boats.
- Heat in oven for 30-35 minutes or until zucchini gives easily when stuck with a fork.
- Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and cook an additional 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and slice to serve.